As you know by know, I like press releases that make me laugh. In the past few days I've received a couple from the Jolanda Jones and Jack Christie campaigns as they battle in a runoff for Jone's seat. I wasn't going to bother but then I saw that the Houston Chronicle's Chris Moran had released the Christie campaign letter, so in fairness (;-)), here is the one I received from Jolanda Jones supporter Randy Kubosh (he of red-light camera fame):
An OPEN LETTER from Randy Kubosh in support Jolanda Jones over Jack Christie for City of Houston Council At Large Position No. 5The City of Houston At Large No. 5 Position is a NON-PARTISAN ELECTION.The issue with me is, "who would be the most physically conservative person in that position representing us"I know that many od my Republican friends say that Jack Christie is a conservative candidate and a good republican. However, recently, a couple of them have told me that Jack did not vote all that conservative while on the State Education Board. I don't have the records to back that up, but I have heard it is out there. But I did look up the Harris County Republican Party records and found that Jack Christie has never been an (RLC) Republican Leadership Council Member. The minimum threshold of giving is $1,000 annually to be a member. I have the records because I am Secretary of the HCRP Finance Committee. In addition, I looked up the Texas Ethic Commission Finance Report for the past 4 years which shows that Jack has given Republican candidates around $700 over that period of time. In addition, he gave two liberal democrats campaign contributions. I am reminded of something Jesus said "where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Attached is the Texas Ethics Report.Honestly, I wish Jack had run against someone else, not Jolanda Jones. I'm not saying he isn't a good guy, here, but rather that "what has Jolanda Jones wrong that warrants not reelected?" She is the most physically conservative person on city council. We need more people like her with courage to stand up to the mayor!
I plead with you to read the summary of what she stated below and to watch the YouTube video I have attached to this email which reflects the passion that she has for the people.
Jack Christie is asked if Mayor Parker wants him to win, he responds by saying yes!
Summary of Jolanda Jones speech to the Downtown Pachyderms on Thursday November 17th 2011,
- claims she can work with anybody
- She is a criminal defense lawyer
- Son is a young life leader who has never been in trouble
- She is doing a good job as a parent
- She is a small business owner supporting a college student
- She claims to have the vast majority of the endorsements
- She claims to have some elected officials who support her, but she thinks the people who need to support you are the people
- She finished first in the election so the people have validated her
- She does things behind the scenes when that works, but if you want government as usually you should probably should not vote her
- She believes that sometimes you need to stand up when the government is trying to intrude into your life
- She knows a lot of people would like for her to be quiet, but when government is trying to take your property rights, somebody better stand up, and that person is her, when the government is trying to impose taxes, first of all, without coming to the people, she has a problem with that, so she stands up, when the government is putting in all those fees, all the permitting fees which she believes is making business an unfriendly environment, somebody needs to stand up, that person would be her, when the government is trying to take our property rights with a historic district designation, which makes everything more expensive, she doesn't believe that your neighbors should be able to tell her what she can do with her property
- She is not afraid to stand up for the little guy
- she campaigned against the Red Light Cameras and when the mayor turned them back on, she fought to get them turned off, she was the only elected official who went to the community meetings and help organize, she respected the will of the voters
- She says if you want someone who is just going to be quiet and let the government intrude into your life, then vote for somebody else
- if you want someone who is going to listen to the people, then you want Jolanda Jones
- She claims she can work with anybody, she can work behind the scenes and in front
- She says that there were too many unanswered questions about the drainage fee, $5 never added up, and she campaigned against Prop # 1 the Drainage Fee, but once that election came, and the people voted for it, she knew it wasn't going to be $5, but she respected the will of the voters and fought to make the fee as fair, because that what elected officials are supposed to do, advocate for the people
- She says the Chronicle doesn't like her very much, they talk about her all the time, because want her to go along to get along, she will not go along to get along
- She says that we aren't going to find anybody on city council that is more physically conservative, because she questions everything,
- She knows that people complain at city council because the meeting run longer, when she is there, because she questions things, because she finds it obnoxious and offensive that the city council spends over $100 million dollars a week in 30 minutes
- She believes in providing the people with the information they request, because she believes the public is entitled to know what the city is going to do before they do it
- She says nobody will fight for us like she will, she is unafraid
- She grew up really tough, she has been shot at,
- She is the child of a Vietnam Veteran and the niece of a Vietnam Veteran and the granddaughter of a WWII Army Veteran and she fights really hard for Veterans, when her dad, who was an outgoing guy when he went to is, he was changed when he came back, her father blew his brains out and she was with him when he did it, because the military forgot about her dad and her uncle killed himself as well after Vietnam, the reason why she fights hard for Veterans because when you serve, your family serves and your children serve, and she raises money for children of Veterans because people don't appreciate them, she knows, she is one of them
- She is passionate about the people
- She believes if you listen to her opponents and to the Chronicle you are going to believe she is somebody she is not,
- By the way, she does not have the endorsement of Bill White or Peter Brown because she listens to the peopleIt is my sincere wish, that you would go vote for Jolanda Jones in this coming December 10th City of Houston Run-Off Election. But not only for your vote, but that you would encourage everyone you have any influence with, to encourage them to vote for her as well.Rarely, do we find someone with the PASSION and COURAGE as Jolanda Jones."She has been and will continue to be the MOST PHYSICALLY CONSERVATIVE PERSON ON THE CITY OF HOUSTON COUNCIL."my prayer is that you seriously consider what I have stated hereSincerely,Randall "Randy" KuboshHarris County Republican Party Pct. # 2 ChairmanHarris County Republican Party Executive Committee MemberHarris County Republican Party RCL Ambassador Level MemberHarris County Republican Party Finance Committee SecretaryDowntown Pachyderm Club Vice-PresidentRepublican Hispanic Citizens in Action SecretaryBoard Member of the Professional Bondsmen of Harris County who actively support the "Be An Angel" charityCommittee Chairman on the Professional Bondsmen of Texas who support several charities statewide
Randy Kubosh; (c) 281-755-7004; (w) 713-222-0983
I get the feeling that we ain't seen nothin' yet in this race, or in the other race in which Chris released only one side of the story. I do love runoffs!
UPDATE 12:56 pm 11-22-11: Randy sent me a corrected version, explaining:
I sent you an Open Letter earlier, which had a few grammatical errors and typos in it.
Would you please replace that letter with this edited version.
I typed the original from my "smart phone" and considering the errors, have decided not to do that again.
By the way, this letter was written to Republicans and to the politically conservative asking them to consider voting for Jolanda Jones rather than Jack Christie for At Large Position No. 5
Here is the corrected version: