Well, that didn’t take long. As I noted earlier, I held out high hopes for the Tea Party Caucus Advisory Committee because I know a few of the members that Sen. Patrick handpicked to be on the committee and they are reasonable, smart people. And after their first meeting, I thought that perhaps they would have the willpower to overcome Dannie’s habit of putting style over substance. Oh well, so much for that thought.
In a lengthy press release, the TPCAC attacks one of the more thoughtful conservatives in the House, Rep. Jim Pitts, and at the same time reinforces the idea that Tea Party folks are full of hot air and no substance. But I’m guessing that Gov. Perry is happy because they completely ignored his lack of leadership in identifying areas to cut, instead heaping praise on him for his bloviating style of non-leadership. Oh, sure, the TPCAC press release is good at highlighting the problems but when it comes to solutions, they offer not a single dollar of savings in their fourteen points of rhetoric. Let’s review.
- The TPCAC doesn’t identify a single spending program that is not legal according to the Texas Constitution. HOW MUCH WILL IT SAVE?
- Zero based budgeting is great – but the TPCAC doesn’t identify a single dollar to be saved. HOW MUCH WILL IT SAVE?
- Again, not a single dollar identified for cuts. But if you are from Oklahoma, I guess they are saying that you cannot stop at a Texas rest stop to take a leak. HOW MUCH WILL IT SAVE?
- They came close on this one. Surely they have calculators available for their use. HOW MUCH WILL IT SAVE?
- The old standby – competition. Great. HOW MUCH WILL IT SAVE?
- LOL – let’s defer purchases until later. Sound familiar? BTW, HOW MUCH WILL IT SAVE?
- Some of this is doable, some is nonsense but again: HOW MUCH WILL IT SAVE?
- This one is priceless. Cut pay for state employees – but be careful!!! Don’t cut their pay so much that we add them to the social service rolls! Too freaking funny – I can almost see them kicking back adding a dollar to a Texas Ranger’s salary so that they are over the minimum. BTW, HOW MUCH WILL IT SAVE?
- Shifting fund balances doesn’t save a penny. Don’t believe me? Think lottery proceeds. HOW MUCH WILL IT SAVE?
- Review and match funding with mission – isn’t that what the legislature does every two years? BTW, HOW MUCH WILL IT SAVE?
- Ah, another bullet point for review. HOW MUCH WILL IT SAVE?
- Sure, no more state parks. That’ll play with the voters. BTW, HOW MUCH WILL IT SAVE?
- Another review but this time we’ll curtail as well. HOW MUCH WILL IT SAVE?
- Reassert State Sovereignty? HOW MUCH WILL THAT SAVE?
Fourteen bullet points, fourteen whiffs.
Yo, TPCAC, where’s the beef? It is time to put away the rhetoric and come forward with real, substantial cuts. You want to play, do the work necessary to get on the field. And tell Gov. Perry to do the same. You ridicule Rep. Pitts but at least he is in the game and working hard. People are tired of this nonsense; it is time to put up or shut up.
Think you can do that? Heck, I’ll donate a calculator if that is the problem. Just let me know. Seriously guys, this is embarrassing. I know some of you and I know you are smarter than this. Don’t let Dannie’s style ruin your opportunity to make a real difference.
NOTE: We’ll be moving BJP over the next few days. If you would like to comment,please click here to move to the new location. The RSS feed has also changed, click here.